top of page

WFA National Cup 50+ Round 1

Stamford Strollers 1 4Sports 3

Stamford Strollers named a strong squad for this WFA National Cup first round match at home against our visitors 4Sports from Norfolk.

Stamford started confidently playing a 2 1 2 formation which put 4Sports onto the back foot from the kick off. The movement of Cook and Ross upfront, the probing of Kirby in midfield and the distribution of Batty and Reeve from the back were causing 4Sports all sorts of problems. After 10 minutes Malton and Tillen replaced the front two and Stamford continued to knock on the door of the 4Sports goal.

For the first 15 minutes of the game Stamford dominated their opponents and had at least 10 shots at the 4 Sports goal. However, half of those shots were disappointingly off target and the others were dealt with by the 4Sports keeper who was in fine form.

Eventually England over 50s international Kirby broke the deadlock driving the ball into the far corner of the 4Sports net with about 4 minutes to half time. At this point Stamford were cruising. However, 4Sports equalised, out of the blue, just before half time with a powerful drive which squeezed in at the near post.

Stamford started the second half in the same vein, dominating possession and creating chances. 4Sports, however, defended resolutely and their keeper produced a string of excellent saves to keep Stamford at bay.

With Stamford looking favourites to score the next goal 4Sports caught the home side on the break to go 2 - 1 up with about 10 minutes to go. Stamford continued to press and at times all the outfield players were in the 4Sports half. More chances came and went Stamford’s way, but 4Sports defended in a disciplined, organised and stubborn manner to ultimately frustrate Stamford.

With the clock ticking down Stamford appeals for a penalty were waived away and to rub salt into their wounds 4Sports broke away to score a third and book their entry into the second round draw of the competition.

59 views0 comments


bottom of page