social_03 strollers-badge

News & Tournaments

Welcome to the Stamford Strollers news and tournaments page


Here you will find the latest news items and results for the walking football teams at Stamford Strollers, based in South Lincolnshire.

By stamfordstrollers, Feb 28 2020 03:56PM

Walking football as it was meant to be.

A game played by two teams in a friendly competitive manner with utmost respect for each other. There to enjoy the game, despite the horrendous weather and the pain that it may bring to the leg muscles.

This was an even well contested match, Boston had the slight edge in a tight first half but Stamford rallied after the break and worked the Boston keeper on a number of occassions although it took a 'face save' from Stamford keeper Angel Goumal to keep a clean sheet.

Post match camaraderie the winner though. Chips and beer at the local and some great banter.

Many thanks from the Strollers to Boston for coming over, Guy Walton for sorting the pitch, Stuart Craig for refereeing in horrendous conditions and to the Bluebell at Belmesthorpe for staying open and supplying us with endless chips - well looked after.


Ian Cooke (capt)

Angel Goumal (GK)

Peter Crane

Bob Lear

Bob Wallace

Colin Murrant

Dave Barry

By stamfordstrollers, Feb 23 2020 08:54PM

Results from today's league games at PDFL:

Stamford Reds 2 (Peasgood x2)

Stamford Whites 0

Stamford Whites 3 (Bratt, Simpson x 2)

Kingscliffe 4

Stamford Reds 1 (Norris)

Harborough 2

Latest league table can be found here...

Report from White's captain Will Barrett

Match report for the two games played by Stamford Whites yesterday.

The Stamford Whites squad.

Robin Gosling.

William Barrett.

Paul Archer.

John Hutchins.

Brian Dunkerley.

John Simpson.

Chris Williams.

John Pythian.

First game was against Stamford Reds. Lost 2 - 0.

This was a game where, to be truthful, the Whites found it hard to play their normal game. On reflection the Reds deserved their win.

Second game was against Kingscliffe. Lost 4 - 3.

A much better performance by the team dispite the disappointing result. A superb shot by Keith Bratt put us one up. Unfortunately, straight from their kick off John Hutchins deflected a shot into our net for the equaliser. We went two up shortly after with a goal by John Simpson. Kingscliffe then got another to even up the score. Kingscliffe then scored a third in a fairly even game. After going close on quite a few occasions, John Simpson scored the equaliser when the keeper couldn't quite keep his shot out of the goal. Right at the death Kingscliffe got their winner.

Many thanks to all who played.

By stamfordstrollers, Feb 9 2020 05:57PM

Report from yesterday's Bedford round robin from Huntingdon's James Coubrough...

Hi all a match report from todays tournament in Bedford.

We fielded a joint team to play as Huntingdon & Stamford United with 4 players from each team. Stamford provided a keeper and kit.

Other teams were :-

Rushden, Leighton Buzzard, Moulton Masters and 2 teams from Bedford the Whites and the Blues.

A well enjoyed competition played in good spirit, good consistent refereeing and glorious weather.

1st game against Rushden 1-1 pretty even and looking to win it but conceded a very late equaliser. Some really nice football played at times.

2nd game against Leighton Buzzard we won 3-0.

3rd game against Bedford Whites we lost 4-3. We conceded 2 early goals but fought back to 3-3 but again we conceded a very late winner.

4th game against Moulton was a 1-1 draw. A tight game and not a lot of chances.

Last game against Bedford Blues we lost 3-0. Felt we deserved more out of that game but hey ho that's football.

Final Table:

1 Bedford Blues

2 Moulton

3 Bedford Whites

4 Stamford/Huntingdon

5 Rushden

6 Leighton Buzzard.

In my opinion we all played well but succumbed to the eventual winning teams. Not a bad mornings effort.

Although first time as a joint team, it worked well and thanks to Gary Wildsmith from Stamford for managing the team.

By stamfordstrollers, Feb 5 2020 12:49PM

report from skipper Gary Wildsmith

Team selected :-

Trevor Oliver

Will Barrett

John Hutchins

Rob Wood

Frank Smith

Colin Barrett-Treen

Gary Wildsmith (Capt)

W3-0 v Chesterfield (F Smith, G Wildsmith 2)

Our first game saw us play Chesterfield. On paper this looked a difficult tie. The team settled into a good early rhythm and had the majority of the possession. Frank Smith scored on his debut in this league giving us an early lead. Gary Wildsmith added a second to give us some breathing space before half time. The team built on their advantage and Gary added a second. The final score was 3-0. A good solid team performance and a welcome clean sheet for Trev Oliver.

L2-4 v Matlock (R Wood 2)

Our second game was against Matlock, again another tough game on paper. The teams exchanged early possession and attempts on goal equally. Matlock taking the lead but two unanswered goals from Rob Wood also on his debut gave us a 2-1 lead at half time. Unfortunately Stamford couldn’t keep up the pressure and fell behind to 3 unanswered goals from Matlock. 4-2 being the final score.

Well done to all those that took part. An enjoyable day, unfortunately the results didn’t both go our way but the spirit and effort was 100%. Special mention to both debutantes and Trev for the clean sheet and if someone can find Will’s old boots that would be great as his newer ones are like a pitching wedge!

Current league table:

By stamfordstrollers, Jan 26 2020 04:30PM

Mixed fortune again at this month's PDFL league. This time the reds having the better day. Here are the reports from the skippers, Gary Wildsmith & Neil Smith.

Stamford Red, Peterborough league report 26th Jan 2020.

A long day for the Stamford Reds with 3 games playing in the first and last games of the day.

Our first game saw us up against familiar faces in a Kingscliffe team. The team started well created chances but failed to covert any of them. Kingscliffe grew in confidence as the half progressed and somehow we found ourselves 3-0 down at half time. A quicker second half start saw us score a couple of goals to make the game more interesting.

A ding dong battle ensued before we allowed a late goal to spoil the two goal lead we had built up. The final score was a 6-5 victory for the Reds. A testament to the effort put in during the second half. 4 goals from Colin Barrett Treen and a brace for Gary Wildsmith.

After a two game rest we played our next game against Glinton with another couple of familiar faces. After a change in tactics and reshuffle of players we had a much better game. A more compact and balanced performance resulted in 2 more goals for Colin, 1 for Brian Dunkerley, 1 for Mike Peasgood, 1 for John Simpson and 1 for Gary Wildsmith all of which were unanswered giving us a 6-0 victory.

Our last game was against Moulton Masters who we had just watched play out a 5-0 win against Glinton. We adopted the same tactics as the second games again ran out comfortable winners. We again created plenty of chances and ended up winning 6-1. 2 more for Colin giving him 8 for the day, 2 for John, another for Gary and Jez Norris finally managed to find his shooting boots.

Everybody contributed to a good days play which shows when everybody’s name was on the score sheet. We also managed to protect Angel Goumal between the sticks in the final two games compared with the first.

Well done to all, a good all round team effort.

Stamford White, Peterborough league report 26th Jan 2020.

A tough day for the Stamford Whites with a changed squad and no 6th player. Ably represented by John Hutchins, Robin Gosling, Martyn Chapman, John Pythian, Chris Williams and Neil Smith.

1st game V Netherton who fielded a much changed stronger team. Although Whites dominated possession, Netherton were clinical with their finishing and were 3-0 up at half time with some neat interplay. Whites re-grouped for the 2nd half and were more solid, but couldn’t find their way through a determined Netherton team.

2nd match v Wisbech was always going to be tough and was made tougher due to an injury to John Pythian, which meant Whites had no substitutes to use.

A much organised and resolute display than Whites first match meant that it was 0-0 at half time with opportunities for both teams, perhaps Whites just shading it.

In the 2nd half Whites took the lead from Neil Smith only to concede straight away from the re-start. Wisbech pushed on and scored 2 more as Whites started to tire. Chris Williams pulled a late goal back to make it 3-2, Whites eventually running out of time to find an equaliser. A really determined, team attempt by the Whites, who just fell short of a deserved draw.

Thanks to all who took part today, in which football was played in the right spirit.